Monday 27 July 2009

Bricking It on Vemma



Did my first Brick session on Vemma yesterday. Whats a Brick session you may ask? Well, its a
training session done by triathletes and those training for multi discipline events. So, go for a swim and then straight into a cycle ride or in my case do a run, then cycle ride, then another run with no recovery break in between.

The idea here is to build stamina, practice the actual condition of the Duathlon itself and most important get the muscles to adapt to quick changes in use. Going from the cycling to running is really hard for your muscles to do. It's quite common to get off your bike and go into the run and your muscles just seem not to work properly. Training them to adapt to the sudden changes is vital to a good perform in triathlons and duathlons.

I got on pretty good, with a strong 3km run which included a couple of hills. Then a quick change over and onto the bike for 25km. Took it pretty easy for the first 10k but then powered it in time trial mode for the other 15km. I finished the cycle part out of breath but feeling good. When I started the final 3km run though my muscles (as predicted) didn't want to know. They felt really heavy and I couldn't get them moving properly. It felt like I was in the last 6 miles of marathon than a sprint duathlon training session.

So, I need to do these sessions to improve my final run. I was still a achy from my race during the week though so that would have effected things somewhat.

On the MyVemma front, I'm continuing the daily small intake and feeling good. Energy levels are high despite the increase in exercise and I'm not suffering excessively from muscle strain so far.

The picture above on this post, by the way is of the main ingredient in MyVemma, mangosteen. It comes from a tropical tree in southeast Asia which bears this small red and purple fruit. Tastes good in the drink but Ive never tasted the fruit on it's own. The drink itself can be found on the MyVemma site.

No comments:

Post a Comment